PIPA Eligibility requirements:
• Be a Regular member of the Medical Association, which includes paying regular annual medical association dues as well as your local county membership dues.
• If self‐employed (e.g., sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, P.A. or certain S‐Corporations), have at least one employee other than the physician and his/her spouse eligible to be in the plan.
• In order for an employee to be eligible, he/she must be considered a full time employee working at least 30 hours per week.
• If the corporate structure of the physicians’ practice is a professional corporation (P.C.), there is no requirement that additional employees be eligible for the plan, but those employees are welcome to participate.
* Physicians who are retired and otherwise Dues Exempt, are only required to pay State Dues.
Not sure if you are eligible? Use the Eligibility Decision Tree (document on the PIPA Document Tab) to find out. In order for an employee to participate, the physician member MUST participate in the insurance plan.
Enrollees in the group practice DO NOT have to all be on the same plan.
To apply, submit the following to the Medical Association:
NOTE: In order to apply for insurance, the physician member must be current on 2023 Medical Association membership dues, and their local county membership dues.
- Completed Application
- Employer Participation Agreement (only one necessary per group)
- Cover Page indicating type of coverage (High, Basic, or Dental options for each application)
- $10 application fee (per application)
- Premium for the first quarter - Use the rates above to determine the quarterly rate for each application. (Quarterly premiums are due at this time for each application submitted.)
- HDHP Agreement MUST be mailed with any HSA/HDHP Applications
All applications for each group (physician and employees) must be sent at one time with one check (payment in full as described above). After the initial application is complete, The Medical Association will bill each entity quarterly for premiums due.
The Medical Association will not process any applications until all of the above information (items 1-5) is received, 2023 dues requirements met by all physicians applying, and all monies paid.
Make checks payable to The Physicians Insurance Plan of Alabama and mail to:
Physicians Insurance Plan of Alabama
P.O. Box 1900
Montgomery, AL 36102
effective January 1-December 31, 2022
Rates shown are MONTHLY amounts. Premiums will be billed QUARTERLY.
*Dental coverage is optional.